Friday, July 6, 2012

Luna Hat (Sailor Moon)

One of my best friend's 21st birthday's is coming and since she is a Sailor Moon fanatic I decided to make her an adorable hat modeled after Luna, her talking cat companion. If you've never watched the anime I would recommend it for sure! Either way, I think she'll flip a shit when she sees it. 


I had to throw in an adorable picture of my albino ferret Lillth


It's actually a really simple knit and as it's my first attempt at a hat I'm actually really proud of it :D Ok, so onto the good part, the pattern

A quick note before I begin. Gauge is actually really important when knitting hats [as I found out the hard way] so before you start your hat I highly recommend knitting a swatch and seeing how many stitches per inch your knitting then measuring your head to double check how many you should be casting on. The number of stitches in my pattern is for my head and it SHOULD be fairly standard and fit most adult heads, but it never hurts to make sure!!

Needles
Size 7 circular needles [Or the size you need to obtain your gauge]

Materials
Black yarn (I used normal worsted weight yarn)
Pink and yellow felt 

Pattern
CO 94 sts
*K1, P1* until the length measures about 1/2 an inch [If you just knit all the stitches the brim WILL roll up]
K all stitches for about 7-9 inches [I recommend trying it while knitting to see where it fits your head the best]
DO NOT decrease at the top of the hat, this will create the ears!!
There are 2 ways to close your hat:
1. Kitchener stitch [This is how I closed my hat] 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7jIzwO5Nv4 Here is a really good video on the Kitchener stitch
2. Bind off normally and then sew the top closed

Finishing
Cut two triangles out of pink felt and the crescent moon out of yellow felt
Sew the pink felt onto the corners where the ears will go and then tack the ears closed. 
Sew the yellow moon onto the center of the hat where it will sit nicely on your forehead.

Voila! You have a Luna hat :) 

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment